FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 65

 Chapter 65



Whole Food’s parking lot
was nearly empty when we rolled in buzzed after a visit to Starbucks. A few early birds sat in their cars or stood by one or two entrances. The store opened on time, swallowing the shoppers.

We drank our coffee and waited.

Nine o’ clock came and went.

Just before ten Terry went inside the market to pee.

Two minutes later a mud-caked grey Land Rover rolled into the lot. My pulse quickened.  Sheena was the driver. Riding shotgun was a kid or a very short adult. Both wore baseball caps. The short one wore hers backward. Sheena parked the van in a handicapped zone and they headed for the entrance. I now saw that the short one was a mean-looking adult with big biceps.

They went inside just as Terry was coming out.

He did a double-take and turned back.

The two had paid no attention to him. And why would they?

Terry got my attention, pointing his finger twice, big jabbing motions.

I hit my parking lights twice.

Yes, I saw them, too. Which is why the hairs on my arms are  standing at attention.

Terry ran over and got into the  car.

“Holy shit, it’s them!”

“Probably. But there has to be more than one dirty Rover in this area.”

“That girl who got away. She said it was grey. And there was a handicapped card on the dash. Should I…?”

I nodded.

“And while you’re at it, see if you can make out their plate numbers. I only saw the last two.”

“That’s because they smeared mud on the plates.”

“Captain Obvious is alive and well. Get going.”

He swung open the door.

“Wait! I almost forgot about our tracker.” I reached into the glove compartment and handed him the miniature tracker. He shut the door and ran off with it.

I watched him zipping between cars. When he reached the Rover he pulled up. Patted his pockets. As if he had forgotten something. All for show. On his knees, he peered beneath the chassis. He stuck on the tracker. Then he got to his feet and walked around to the front of the van, still pretending to search.

So far, so good for the charade, I thought. 

Now came the hard part: Getting back to the car without attracting attention. I lowered my window and waved at him. 

He waved back and hustled over.

The big glass door of one exit slid to its side.

They were coming out! 

Shit.

“Get inside quick.”

He did.

I got out my cell phone.

“Who are you calling?” Terry asked.

“His name is Driscoll.”
Sheena carried something in her bag. Something light. The short woman carried two six packs of beer.

“How did they finish so fast?” Terry asked.

“Looks like they dropped by the deli. Either that or they just got a few items.”

 

I waited for them to drive off the lot. Then I counted to ten slowly and pulled out of our spot.

They were heading east toward the freeway entrance. I stayed one car back. The guy in front of me didn’t take the exit. In seconds we were heading south on 101.

I took some deep breaths to keep my heart from pounding. 

It didn’t work.

Just south of a state park, the Rover turned right (west) onto a small road that led into a thick forest.

“Here we go,” I said and turned onto the road.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 83

FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 85

FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 79