FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 60

 Chapter 60



I stood by as Michael Rollins pedaled his exercise bike like crazy, his face pouring sweat. I wondered why any man would prefer riding that silly contraption instead of his own sleek racing bike, which leaned against a wall. He and Amy Feingold often ran together. Why not ride together, too? Finally he slowed down and came to a complete stop. He wiped his face with a towel.

“Let me see that matchbook again,” he said.

I held out the baggie it was in.

 “It probably came from Petaluma,” I said. 

“So? Someone ate at a restaurant in Petaluma. Big deal.”

“It’s not just this. Terry and I heard that Powers shops at a Whole Foods store, in Petaluma.”  I decided not to mention that I had gotten that bit of intel from the Bureau. “ It’s near an on-ramp to the freeway,” I added. “Easy for him to escape from there if he has to.”

He said nothing to that.

Finally he said, “I see where you’re going with this.” 

“Where am I going?”

“You want me to pay your expenses while you sit in your car on the Whole Foodst lot, staking out the place.”

“More like waiting for our guy,” I said. 

“Jason Powers is not going to shop for himself. No way. And you don’t know what any of the others in his gang looks like.”

“You’re forgetting about the blonde with the bad teeth.”

“Okay, one. And you’re using an artist’s sketch of her, not a photograph.” 

“Don’t forget we have the park ranger’s description of their van,” I said.

I didn’t tell him that the description came to me third-hand from the Inyo County Sheriff and then to the rangers.

“What about plates?”

“Not yet.”

“Maybe they don’t use the van to shop. Ever think of that?”

I hadn’t. 

 “And this information about the girl who escaped. The gun. The midget. Where are you getting it?”

“The local sheriff.”

He shook his head.

“No offense, but maybe it’s time to bring in the Big Dogs.”

“They’re all in,” I said. “They’re out there hunting right now. But don’t ask me to name them.”

He did not seem convinced.

“Give me two days,” I said. 

“How much will you need?” he sighed.

I told him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 83

FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 85

FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 79