FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 48

 Chapter 48




After more than a week of trying
, I was unable to corral Zack Tyler. He and his druggie pals knew I was neither a cop, nor a certified private investigator. They all lied for him or just clammed up. I tried to find the kid that was hanging around Lowell the night of my visit. It was clear that he hated Zack. Otherwise he would not have told me about Zack’s “storefront” beneath a bridge. I began to think that Zack was selling in a new location. Meanwhile, my stoner informant had seemingly disappeared.

“It frustrates the hell outta me,” I complained to Colin on the phone.

“Don’t sweat it. Even if you catch him it will do you no good. He’ll lie through his teeth again. Remember, we can’t pick him up until we see him commit a crime. I know it sucks, but…”

“I just had an idea,” I said.

“Yeah? Run it by me.”

“You’ve got it.”

“Got what?” he asked.

“The interview. Starring Zack, Slim and Shorty.”

“After what happened on your last visit, I’m leery about you coming down here. It doesn’t do either of us any good.”

“So let us borrow it.”

“It’s against Department rules.”

“They don’t have to know. Who’s gonna tell them?” 

“No means no.”

Eventually he delivered it in person, meaning he didn’t trust a courier, which was so Colin. 

As soon as I opened the door he said, “You and you alone are responsible for this tape. I could be in hot water if Chief Howell knows I did this.”

That was it. He didn’t want to stick around and see a look of triumph on my face. He turned and walked away with another word.

“Thanks!” I called.

He ignored me and kept going.


Rollins was late for the show. Terry was all set up to play back Zack Tyler’s interview with the SFPD. 

“There’s no parking on your street,” said Rollins as he huffed through our door.

Which was a barefaced lie. There were all kinds of spots because people had driven off to work. Since he was paying me, I let it slide.

Terry poured coffee and we sat down to hear the tape.

I said, “What you’re about to hear is an interview conducted by Detectives Olsen and Spears, also known in the department as Slim and Shorty. Spears is the one with the squeaky voice.”

I turned to Terry.

“Are you ready?” I asked. 

He nodded.

I was about to give the “roll it” sign but he signaled for me to stop.

“You didn’t mention the attorney,” Terry said.

“Zack lawyered up,” I said offhandedly, anxious to get on with it. “Guy’s name is in the intro. Thanks, Terry.”

“Don’t mention it.”

Grinning at me like an idiot. 

“I’m skipping the beginning about Zack’s whereabouts. Zack tells them he spent that afternoon with his buddy. They ask him a lot of detailed questions about his friend. Goes on forever.”

“Gimme a second,” said Terry.

I saw that Rollins was antsy.

“Ready,” Terry said.

I signaled him to start the recording

“Olsen speaks first,” I said.
OLSEN: Tell me about your relationship with Katherine Rollins.

(Indistinct mumbling. I pictured Zack getting permission from his lawyer.)
ZACK: We used to date.

OLSEN: Were you intimate?

Another short silence.

ZACK: Yeah.

SPEARS: How intimate? Were you doing the nasty?”

ZACK: What do you think?

SPEARS:  I think you’re a punk. It ain’t about what I think.

LAWYER: Lieutenant Spears. In the interest of civility, can you skip the gutter talk? My client has come here voluntarily, remember that.

SPEARS: Yeah, yeah. So you were having sex. Ever do a threesome?

ZACK: With two people?

Soft giggling in the background.

SPEARS: Don’t get smart with me.

OLSEN:  Lieutenant Spears may be referring to Katherine’s best friend, Amy Feingold.  According to Katherine’s mother, the two were inseparable. Did that make you jealous?

ZACK: Naw, why should it? What they do when they’re alone is none of my business.

OLSEN: It never bothered you that they were together so much?

(Slight pause.)

ZACK: Maybe just a little.

SPEARS: There’s your motive. You were pissed that she dumped you and chose to go out with the Amazon. I think you knew that Katherine’s family, along with Amy, were goin’ to Death Valley. 

Katherine probably threw it in your face.

ZACK: Never happened.

SPEARS: You stewed about it for a while and then you came up with a plan. You grabbed a hunting knife from outta your garage and then you drove your car to Death Valley. You had already switched plates. You got a visitor’s pass under a phony name. Then you parked overnight near the main entrance and slept in your car. The next morning you saw their camper come in and you followed it to their campsite. After that, it was just a matter of waiting for Katherine to go someplace alone. She made it easy for you. 

ZACK: You are seriously tripping.

OLSEN: Actually, I have a completely different version.

LAWYER: Version or concoction?

OLSEN: The former. The Rollins found out that Katherine had stolen money from your dealer, as well as a sizable stash. It was you who broke into their house just days before their trip. You made off with cash and jewelry. Did you find the drugs she stole?

ZACK: No, because I wasn’t there. If someone broke into their house, it wasn’t me.

OLSEN: You need to know something, Zack. 

ZACK: Yeah? And what might that be?

OLSEN: We can subpoena your car, since you’re a prime suspect in a kidnapping and murder case. Our technicians can inspect your odometer. If they find a spike in your mileage around the time of the Death Valley trip, then you will be in serious trouble.

ZACK: They won’t find shit, because I never followed them that day.
OLSEN: I sincerely hope you didn’t. One more time, where were you that afternoon?

ZACK: Hanging out with my friend, Carlos.

SPEARS: We need his address and phone number.

ZACK: (Sighs.) Fine.
LAWYER: My client has come here on his own volition and truthfully answered your questions. I think we are done here.

(Sound of two chairs scooting on the floor.)

I signaled to Terry to turn off the recording.

I turned toward Rollins.
“You never told me about the break-in,” I said.

“I figured you knew.”

“What else are you forgetting?”

He shrugged.

“What do you think?” asked Rollins. “About Zack?”

“He’s still a suspect. I want to talk with him again.”

It was the third time I had heard the tape. It was obvious to me that there was virtually nothing on it I could use. I thought from the beginning that Katherine had stolen drugs. I didn’t know where or how.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 83

FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 85

FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 79