FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 43

 Chapter 43



I had to roust Rollins from bed
the next morning, which was no mean feat. His phone was off. I pounded on the door for what seemed like five minutes.

Finally it opened.

“What?” he asked.

“Get into some clothes and come to my room. I want to show you something.”

“Can I just…?”

“The coffee’s made and waiting for you. Get up and get dressed.”

“Ask me nicely.”

“Please.”

Ten minutes later Rollins came in, mumbling in protest. 

“Good morning,” I said, ignoring his pique.

I took him over to the bed, where two maps of Death Valley were spread out, one smaller than the other. The larger was an aerial map, the smaller one was a fold-up road map. I pointed to a destination I had circled. 

“This again?”

“It’s not just the site of the ranch, it’s all the terrain around it.”

“So?”

 “So it might be tough going, even with four-wheel drive.”

“In other words I might have to spring for a busted tire or a ruined transmission.” 

“Let’s hope not. Want to come with me?”

He hesitated.

“If Manson and his family lived in that ranch, there could be skeletons buried outside it.”

“Very possible. I think that’s what the rangers are afraid of. Last thing they need is me or a bunch of cops and their dogs digging around on that site. Alhough, I have to admit: Bad publicity could bring in the ghouls and sickos. Their money is just as good as anyone else’s.”

I could see the subject was turning him green.

“If there’s nothing left, then why the maps?”

“To get to the site, obviously.”

 “Why bother?”

“I don’t know yet. Clues?

“After all these years?”

“Not clues about Manson. I’ll be looking for something that the Death Valley Gang left behind.”

“Good luck with that.”

I ignored his sarcasm.  I said, “They could have been camping there before…”

“They could have killed her there,” he said. It was almost a whisper.

 “Not according to the coroner.”

“Maybe he’s wrong.”

“She,” I said.

“Whoever.”

Don’t push it, Francis.

“I’d just be in the way. I’m sure you work better on your own.”

I shrugged.

“It’s up to you.”

“I’ll pass,” he said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 83

FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 85

FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 79