FOLLOW THE LEADER -Chapter 28


Chapter 28


After the meeting with Joy Rollins
, I felt like I was on a roll. I called Amy Feingold’s number.  After two rings she answered. I told her who I was and why I wanted to talk to her. 
         She hesitated.
         “Miss Feingold?”
         “Amy. Sorry, I just flashed on something.
         Like her friend’s corpse lying on a sidewalk?
         “Would you mind repeating that?” she asked.
         “Like I said, I’m trying to find out who killed your friend, Katherine. And I’m a friend of Mike Rollins,” I quickly added.  If you want to confirm that I can give you his number.”
         “I know his number.”
         “Excellent. Could we meet somewhere tomorrow? You know, in a coffee shop or—”
         Silence.
         Too soon! Shit!
“I don’t think so. I don’t know you.”
Don’t push it.
“In that case maybe you can help me out now. The day of the terrible dust storm…”
Silence. Then a tiny gasp.
“What about it?  My whole life changed that day.”
“I know it did.”
“Oh? Who told you that?”
“Katherine’s dad. Like I said, I’m working for him. Please bear with me and don’t hang up. Out there on the golf course, you and Mike had to stop playing.”
“We couldn’t see.”
“Right. But what did you hear? Please try to remember.”
Silence. 
“Anything at all,” I prodded.
After a sigh, she said: “Chaos. Guys yelling, Dogs barking. Something got blown over in one of the camps.  A big trailer, I think. Okay? That’s all I can remember. Plus, I’m right in the middle of something.”
She’s lying
“Thanks for your help. I’m going to drop off my business card in case you think of something else. The smallest thing could be a help.”
“Don’t drop off anything.”
“May I call you again?”
“Just give me your number, instead. I’ll call you. That is, if I think of anything. I probably won’t.”
I gave her my number .
“Thanks for your time, Amy.”
She disconnected.
She won’t call.
Can’t win ‘em all, I thought. For the time being I was done with Amy Feingold.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 83

FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 85

FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 79