FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 9

Chapter 9



That night, to dispel my churlish mood,
I walked through the heart of the Mission on 24th   Street. The brightly lit bodegas and little grocery stores and shops usually lifted my spirits.
         It didn’t work.
         I bought a small bouquet for Colin’s wife, which helped a little. After that I crossed above the freeway on the 23rd Street bridge, which left me in my old neighborhood on Portrero Hill.

Our family’s old two-bedroom white house had survived the wrecking ball, unlike others. It was always a shock to see Colin’s unmarked Crown Vic parked in the driveway. It shrieked “Cop!”
         I was nervous about seeing Linda nee Bellini, my old girlfriend in high school. I could feel my heart beat faster as I rang the doorbell.
         Linda opened the door immediately, as if she had seen me coming.
         Her face lit up when she saw me. She seemed even more beautiful than before, with her brown eyes and dark skin. Still the kind of gal Irish men went for.
 I felt my cheeks turning red.
         “I so apologize for the short notice,” she said.
         “That’s Colin for you.”
         “It’s so good to see you, Frank.”
         I let that go. She knew me as Frank when we were in school together.
         She kissed me on the cheek and we hugged.
         “Is pizza okay? I didn’t have time to…”
         “It’s perfect,” I said.

At dinner we three talked about everything except the case. It was Banquo’s Ghost, standing in the corner.
         Finally I broke the ice.
         “Look, bro. I appreciate the fact that you are trying to challenge my wits, but the Rollins murder is a loser. I feel like you’re trying to dump it in my lap.”
         “Bullshit.”
         “Colin…” she cautioned.
         “Well, maybe a little,” he admitted. “But I didn’t ask you to jump in, did I? All I asked is that you talk to the dead girl’s father.”
         “Which I’m doing. Tomorrow morning.”
         “I appreciate that. Then later, if you can spare time from your busy schedule…”
         “Screw you!”
         “…Then maybe you can call me and give me your take. That’s all I’m asking.”
         “Right.”
Linda rose.
         “Dessert, anyone?”
         “No thanks,” I said. “I need to be getting back.”
         “Oh? Another client?” Colin asked.
         “Surveillance, if you must know.”  It was bullshit and I think both of them knew it.

Linda showed me out, then shut the door behind her.
         “Don’t mind us,” I said. “It’s just brother stuff.”
         She waved that away.
         For a moment we just stood there.
         “I know I’ve said it before,” she began, “but I am so sorry I didn’t come up to visit you in…”
         “Hey. At least you wrote.”
         That. That was nothing.”
         “You’re wrong. Those letters meant a great deal to me. Anyway, it’s all water under the bridge.”
         I kissed her on the cheek and started off.
         “Thanks for coming on such short notice,” she called.
         “Any time! I answered.
         As long as you are there.
        









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 83

FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 85

FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 79