FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 7

Chapter 7



Now I knew why Colin gave me the gift
. I should have guessed there was a hidden motive.
         I grabbed my note pad and searched for a pen. I scribbled down some stuff I would need from Michael Rollins before our interview. This way I could ascertain his willingness to help me in my investigation, if it came to that. So far I had gleaned that he had become a nagging pain in the ass for Colin. Why would it be any different with me?
Rollins came up the path by himself.  His deeply tanned face was that of a zealous tennis player or golfer. He was frowning, probably put off by the shabby appearance of my humble abode. No doubt he had seen caddy shacks that looked better.
I let him in and we introduced ourselves.
“You used to box,” he said, out of the blue.
I nodded.
“Golden Gloves. Long ago.”
He went over to my dirty window and peered out at the garden, shaking his head in wonder.
“You could sell this place for a fortune,” he said. “Some of my clients would spend a fortune for the lot, alone. Jusr because it’s Noe Valley.”
“It’s not for sale,” I said. “Take a look at this, please.”
“What is it?”
“Read it.”
Michael Rollins had only been in my office for a minute and he was annoying the hell out of me. As he stood there reading over my short list of requests, I sensed something else. The atmosphere in the room had changed. It felt as if the specter of death had slipped in behind him.
“Not a problem,” he said.
“Are you free at ten o’ clock day after tomorrow?” I asked.
“I’m showing a house at nine-thirty.”
“Too bad.”
“I can change it, kick it up an hour. Not a biggie. But can’t we talk now?”
“No. I’ll see you Wednesday at ten.”
He hesitated.
“Right. Ten.”
“Have a good day.”
I held the door open for him.
Rollins left without saying another word. The gloom he had brought hung there like a silent witness.

An hour later my phone rang.
Colin.
“Hey, I wanted to thank you for seeing Rollins on such short notice.”
“You left me little choice,” I said.
“I know, I know, it was shitty of me. Listen, I’d like to make it up to you. What are you doing tonight?”
“Uh, nothing. Why?”
“Come over for some barbecue.”
“Have you cleared it with Linda?”
“It was her idea.”
“Really?”
“Dude. Really.”

“What time?”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 83

FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 85

FOLLOW THE LEADER - Chapter 79